Laughter and delicious smells filled the air as we marked the end of another year with a potluck party, mini quilt show, and gift exchange.
Six members submitted work for the Curves Challenge, and their work decked one wall of the meeting room. In September, members were asked to create an original design using black, white, and one color of their choice. The style and techniques used were up to each maker, but the end result had to fit within the curves theme.
Vista Mahan took home the viewer’s choice ribbon for her “Ocean Currents” mini quilt. Vista selected Kona Cotton Pool as her third solid; the name of the fabric inspired her watery landscape, which includes a combination of hand and machine quilting.
Kudos to Vista, Gerry Haywood, Audrey Workman, Stephanie Quesinberry, Theresa Kitchell and Jean Larson for tackling the challenge and creating stunning mini quilts!
And if you’re interested in making your own quilt show award ribbons, stay tuned for a tutorial coming in the next few weeks.
2018 Calendar and Programs
After a successful brainstorming session in November, the steering committee took your ideas for next year’s programs and used them to create the following calendar. The topics listed in italics will be taught by small groups of members listed in parenthesis; if you haven’t signed up for a group, let me know which topic piques your interest and I’ll gladly add your name!
- January 13: Cut It Up! (Again) — We’re bringing back the popular Cut It Up! Challenge but with a twist. This time we’re focusing on UFOs and orphan blocks instead of a completed quilt top. Search your sewing room and bring 1-2 incomplete projects to the January meeting; someone else will take your work home, cut it up, and make something new with it.
- February 10: Go-To Gadgets & Tools
- March 10: Using Common Shapes to Create Complex Designs (Ann Hurley, Camille Miller, Martha Steele)
- April 14: TBD
- May 12: Hand Quilting (Sara Bradshaw, Ava Moore, Catherine Price, Patricia Steadman)
- June 9: Cut It Up! (Again) quilt show and Brown Bag Fabric Challenge launch
- July 14: TBD
- August 11: Binding and Finishing Techniques (Karen Downer, Carolyn Pugh)
- September 8: Alternative Materials for Modern Quilts (Theresa Kitchell, Stephanie Quesinberry, Audrey Workman)
- October 13: Scrap Buster Sew-In
- November 10: 2019 Brainstorming
- December 8: Holiday party and Brown Bag Fabric Challenge quilt show
2018 Officers & Bylaws
The steering committee recently adopted revised bylaws for the guild. The biggest changes are that we increased the number of named officers, clarified the nomination process for new officers, and formalized procedures concerning guild finances. I encourage you to read the revisions and let me know if you have any questions.
Leading the guild in 2018 are the following officers:
- President & Communications Coordinator: Kelly Spell
- Treasurer: Vanessa King
- Secretary: Patricia Steadman
- Membership Coordinators: Stephanie Quesinberry and Karen Downer
And many thanks to our 2017 officers and steering committee! Your dedication and hard work are greatly appreciated.
- President: Kelly Spell
- Treasurer: Jean Larson
- Secretary: Denise Ohlman
- Steering Committee: Veronica Hofman-Ortega, Mary Keasler, Sandi Suggs, Audrey Workman