A great group filled our meeting Saturday! Janet welcomed our visitors and members alike.
Our next Sew-In is immediately following our June meeting. We've got a couple of exciting activities planned during this time:
- Vanessa will be demonstrating how to make a Boxy Zippered Carry-All Pouch. A materials list was available at the meeting. In case you didn't get one, you can find it here: Boxy Carry-All Bag Material List
- There will be a "Stash Sale" during the Sew-In. This is an opportunity to sell some of your stash or buy someone else's. Just bring in your sewing fabric, notions, etc. Tag each item with your name, item name and price and hand it over to the "Store Keeper". Thanks to Catherine for bringing this idea to the Guild. Guidelines for selling your stash can be found here: Stash Sale Guidelines
Several dates of interest were announced.
- International Quilt Festival, October 25—November 2, 2014 in Houston, TX. Modern quilt entry registration will open at midnight CDT on May 30, 2014. The last day to register is June 27, 2014 until midnight CDT. You will be notified no later than Friday, August 1, 2014, regarding the quilts to be included in this exhibit along with shipping instructions. If selected, the quilts will need to arrive in Houston no later than Friday, September 5, 2014. Quilts will not be traveling and will be returned by the end of December 2014. Visit their website for all of the details. http://www.callforentriesmodernquilts.com
- QuiltCon 2015, February 19-22, Austin, TX. Workshop registration will open to MQG members on June 23, 2014. (We announced June 1 at the meeting) A complete catalog of lectures and workshops will be available on June 1, 2014. To keep up on all the important dates visit the website: http://www.quiltcon.com
Joan gave an update on the TN Aquarium/IMAX Exhibit. An updated timeline has been emailed to all members and should serve to answer any questions you have.
Lottery Blocks were collected. Gerry and Sharon went home with seven "Modernized D9P" Blocks. Vista presented the Lottery Block this month, "Strip Blocks". Here are her instructions.
You can also find some beautiful inspiration for the Strip Blocks at this link from Melody: http://brookeandmel.blogspot.com/2014/04/just-strips.html
Our program this month was a Team Project. Our teams from January were reunited and our new members placed with a team. The teams were challenged to come up with a design, using either "Expansive Negative Space" or "Modern Traditionalism", the Improv blocks from our January program, and create a Modern quilt top. Quilt tops are due at our October meeting.
Show and Tell
1. Melissa Klingensmith 2. Linda Smith 3. Audrey Workman 4. Catherine Price 5. Gerry Haywood 6. Brenda Cregger 7. Brenda Cregger 8. Brenda Cregger 9. Delores Dady 10. Delores Dady 11. Jean Larson 12. Jean Larson 13. Jean Larson 14. Kathleen McMullen 15. Toni Faidley 16. Mary Keasler 17. Mary Keasler 18. Melody Johnson 19. Veronica Hofman-Ortega 20. Nancy Packard 21. Nancy Packard 22. Nancy Packard 23. Nancy Packard 24. Vanessa King